New figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) have revealed overseas travellers made just 398,000 trips to the UK in the second quarter of the year.This was down a staggering 96 per cent from the same period last year.- Advertisement – “While the figures relate to the first lockdown period, since then the industry has had to deal with constantly changing travel advice and quarantine measures, as well as local lockdowns, meaning there has been very limited scope for recovery in the travel industry. “As a result tens of thousands of jobs have already been lost and many businesses have closed their doors for good. “In addition to tailored financial support for travel companies, the government needs to implement an effective testing regime and introduce a fully regionalised travel corridor approach by the time lockdown is lifted to help people feel more confident to travel. “It also needs to introduce flexibility into the furlough scheme to support businesses who need to have staff processing refunds, but won’t be generating income.” OlderFuture of Norwegian uncertain as government denies further aid UK residents made 939,000 visits abroad in over the three-month period, which was 96 per cent fewer than the corresponding period the previous year.They spent £402 million on visits abroad. The ONS said data collection by the International Passenger Survey was suspended for the period covered, so the figures are based on administrative sources and modelling. Commenting on the data, and ABTA spokesperson said: “Today’s ONS figures for overseas travel in April to June 2020 lay bare the devasting impact Covid-19 has had on the industry. – Advertisement – The ONS placed the blame for the decline squarely on the Covid-19 pandemic. In total, overseas residents spent £218 million on their visits to the UK in in the second quarter of the year.The figure was again down 97 per cent on the same period of 2019.- Advertisement – – Advertisement –
A nine member jury has found Sherman Webb of Kingshill guilty of murdering Corey Poleon of Barbados between August 31, 2009 and March 18, 2010.Webb was arrested on March 18th, 2010 after he confessed to three police officers that he had killed and buried a friend in the heights of Elmshall. He led the officers to the heights of River Claire in Elmshall to a blue wooden shack and a “shallow grave” where he buried the “friend” as he “had enough and needed to clear his mind”.On Wednesday, after the prosecution closed its case having called twelve (12) witnesses to testify, Webb told the court when asked, “I’ll take the witness stand”.He then proceeded to the witness box, swore on the bible and said that he “need to say that a person’s belief or disbelief in the occult has no bearing or effect on its existence nor on its consequences to that person,” before answering explaining how he met Poleon which was the question his attorney Peter Alleyne asked.Webb said he befriended Poleon in an occult chat room on sometime in 2007 and Poleon informed him through their discussions that he wanted to “cross reference what he had learnt at church” with the belief of the occult. Evidence revealed in Court through Poleon’s sister, Janelle Gilkes who testified on Tuesday indicates that he attended the Salvation Army church regularly and was also a counselor there. Webb continued that in January 2009 Poleon told him that he wanted “his own guardian spirit” however he advised him against it as he knew from previous conversations that Poleon’s family, particularly his mother, Denise Gilkes, attended church regularly. Poleon visited Webb in Dominica in February of 2010, stayed at his home with him in Kingshill where he explained that in order for him to get assistance in obtaining a guardian spirit; he needed to get his own apartment.He returned to Barbados with the intention of seeking another job which would enable him to afford an apartment with the help of “something” Webb gave him to take to the interview.Poleon, who was employed at a call centre in Barbados, called Webb in August 2012 to inform him that he had received another job at Scotia Bank and was ready for his guardian spirit.Sherman Webb smiling to reporters on his way out from CourtHe arrived in Dominica on August 31st, 2010 and two days later they headed up to the heights of River Claire for the special ceremony.“I explained that once begun it is a ceremony that must be completed and that once in the circle one cannot step out,” Webb said.He proceeded to commence the ritual for Poleon’s guardian spirit at sunset having formed an “inner circle around the house” with a combination of crushed coals and salt”.According to Webb, he lit a fire and his guardian spirit “zaphur” which he had gotten in 2006, “started moving around me in a circular manner” which was a sign that “asteroth” was present and this frightened Poleon.Poleon then “stepped back” and he pulled him back using his right hand; however Poleon asked him to stop as he did not wish to continue.“I explained to him that we already had asteroth there and in order to stop we would have to send him back. He consented by asteroth does not exactly take pleasure in being summoned and being ignored. He began making a rather boisterous noise at which my guardian spirit started moving a lot faster, which caused the smoke to swirl a lot faster, which frightened Corey more than he already was, and caused him to step out of the circle partially”.He said he only realized that Poleon had stepped out of the circle because he shouted but that asteroth had already proceeded to start possession, but all his attempts to banish asteroth failed.“I noticed that Corey had lost control of his bowels and that although he was still slightly slumped and leaning backwards with his arms dangling by his sides he was now looking directly at me but I could only see the white of his eyes”.This he said made him realize that either Poleon was dead or that he was fully possessed so “I picked up the cutlass which was next to my foot and while holding it by the blade I struck him twice with my left hand by his jaw. He remained standing and I used it to slightly jam him out of the circle. He backed out of the circle completely and starting speaking in Latin”.He then banished asteroth by repeating the “banishing ritual” three times, ripped up some of the boards from the floor, dug a shallow grave underneath the “wooden shack” and buried Corey in it.Webb carried water from the river, washed out the “feaces, piss and the little blood that had seeped from Corey’s mouth” and went home. There, he burnt Poleon’s belongings and destroyed his laptop computer.Poleon’s mother told Dominica Vibes News on Wednesday that her son was full of expectations and in his last year of studies at the University of the West Indies.“Corey didn’t do him nothing so why take his life? Corey must have seen him doing something and Corey spoke to him about it that’s why he killed Corey. This thing about satanic thing, yes it’s an evil force out there but my Jesus is more powerful than this evil force that’s here. A young man with bright expectations, Corey had about eight CXC’s and he was studying at the University of the West Indies and he was in his last year so I don’t know why he killed him”. She continued; “I know my son, I know him, he didn’t do anything wrong,” and is depending on God to see her through. “My God as Psalm 94 says; ‘Oh Lord to whom vengeance belongs, show thyself’ so God will show himself and vengeance belongs to God, it does not belong to me. I cannot condemn him but God can and God vengeance is better than mine. So I leave it in the hands of God”.Gilkes returned to Barbados with her son Lawrence and daughter Janelle before the verdict was rendered.Webb walked out of Court with a big grin on his face after being told that he will be sentenced on July 20th, 2012.Dominica Vibes News 122 Views one comment Tweet Share Sharing is caring! Share Share LocalNews Sherman Webb found guilty! by: – June 22, 2012
Norwich’s survival hopes received a major blow as Southampton took a giant stride towards safety thanks to Danny Ings, Stuart Armstrong and Nathan Redmond strikes.With Daniel Farke’s six points adrift and fast running out of time, the rock-bottom Canaries desperately needed to make a winning return to Premier League action after a 104-day break due to the coronavirus pandemic. But a fine Norwich start quickly petered out as Southampton moved 10 points clear of the drop zone, with second-half goals from Ings, Armstrong and Redmond sealing a 3-0 win at an empty Carrow Road.Saints waltzed to victory in East Anglia but things could have been so different had Ings not been alert in his own box during the opening minutes to close down Tom Trybull.Ralph Hasenhuttl, who signed a new deal until 2024 earlier in the month, would see his side dominate the match after a shaky start, with Ings hitting the crossbar in the first half.Saints turned their dominance into goals shortly after half-time, with the England hopeful scoring a fine curling effort before setting up Armstrong to bury a low shot past Tim Krul.Redmond added a third against former club Norwich, whose uphill battle to avoid an immediate return to the Championship now has an even steeper incline. As at Wednesday’s Premier League matches, both sides took a knee as part of the Black Lives Matter movement after observing a minute’s silence for those impacted by Covid-19.Norwich flew out of the blocks when play got underway and penned the visitors in their own half, with Ings producing a fine recovery challenge to thwart Trybull from a free-kick just two minutes in.Saints looked set to be caught cold but just about held out as Kenny McLean rifled a low shot just wide before Josip Drmic was closed out.But Norwich’s breathless start wore off as the visitors took control, with Armstrong going close from a corner taken by newly-appointed club captain James Ward-Prowse.Saints were pressing relentlessly and Jack Stephens impressively swept up, before bursting forward from the halfway line and playing wide for Ings to hit a first-time strike that hit the woodwork. Hasenhuttl’s men were unable to find a first-half breakthrough but required just four minutes of the second period to pull ahead.Norwich failed to deal with a throw-in on the left and Armstrong prodded into Ings, who curled a lovely shot from just inside the box past Krul into the top right-hand corner.The roles reversed in the 54th minute as Saints extended their advantage.Ings played the ball to Armstrong and the Scotland international showed good control and a cool head before firing a low shot past Krul from the edge of the box.RelatedPosts EPL: Son fires four past Southampton EPL: Saints tackle Mourinho’s Spurs Ings not interested in leaving Saints, Southampton manager says It was a gut punch that left Norwich reeling, with Jan Bednarek twice blocking Teemu Pukki before substitute Mario Vrancic saw a goal ruled out for offside.A great goalline clearance by Max Aarons prevented Ward-Prowse getting in on the act, with Krul tipping an Armstrong shot wide as Saints looked for a third goal.It arrived in the 79th minute. Michael Obafemi cut the ball across to former Norwich forward Redmond, who all too easily took the ball past Ben Godfrey and fired a low shot past Krul.Nathan Tella came on for his debut as the clock wound down on a perfect restart for Saints.As for Norwich, Farke has plenty of work to do.Tags: Daniel FarkeDanny IngsNathan RedmondNorwich CitySouthamptonStuart Armstrong
The Palm Beach County Board of Commissioners plans to decide this Tuesday whether the county should start a needle exchange program.Governor DeSantis signed a bill last week that allows counties to partner with private entities to provide free, sterile syringes to injection drug users.However, the final law does not permit counties to fund the programs using tax dollars.Melissa McKinlay, County Commissioner for District 6, tells our news partner, CBS12, that she expects the measure to pass.“Our community is literally dying because they don’t have access to a 7 cent syringe,” says Justin Kunzelman, co-founder of Rebel Recovery Florida, a drug rehab organization in West Palm Beach.Dirty needles, which are often shared by injection drug users who cannot afford medical care, sometimes spread blood-borne diseases like HIV/AIDS and hepatitis B and C.Kunzelman explains, “After the first use, the tip of syringe gets dull, it gets burs on it. Reusing that syringe, one, opens the community up to the spread of infectious disease and two, further injures the person using it.”Kunzelman also wants to see the county make access to drugs like naloxone and narcan, which help to stop an overdose, easier.The Florida Sheriff’s Association previously opposed elements of the bill in the legislature, and other law enforcement groups worry that it may condone illegal activity.Palm Beach County had about 380 deaths from opioids in 2018. Of those, 21 percent were tied to heroin, according to the county medical examiner.
A Donegal woman who lost her brother tragically to suicide has plans to run wellness events on her farm and in her local community.Donna Maskery, who farms with her husband Nick at Copany outside Donegal town – keeping a herd of pedigree Moiled cattle – has been a driving force behind Darkness into Light in the area, following the tragic loss of her brother Aaron Scott to suicide.“My brother had a BSc honours degree in building surveying. He was a very popular young man. He was captain of our local soccer team with a reputation for helping everyone. “In 2012 with no jobs in building surveying locally, Aaron decided to go to Canada with a close friend,” Donna told Agriland.Looking back, she recalled that a number of things happened in the run-up to the tragic death of her brother.One incident was that he split with his long term girlfriend.“In September 2012, Aaron came home for Christmas. In the following weeks he wasn’t sleeping; he lost weight and had quite a low mood at times.” He had, however, returned to work and was playing football. He went to the family doctor who prescribed sleeping tablets.Days later, on December 4, Aaron didn’t come home for tea. “We spent the night looking for him,” said Donna.“On December 5, we found Aaron in the lake at Lough Eske. At the time there was no Pieta House in the north-west.I truly believe that if my brother had received the right help at the right time, he would be here today.“Aaron was 26 when he died,” said Donna as she recalled the tragic details.“He was having a crisis in his life and needed an intervention that wasn’t there. In 2014, I worked with an amazing group of Donegal people to bring the first Darkness into Light event to Co. Donegal.” Darkness into Light is the main fundraiser for Pieta House. Pieta House provides a free, therapeutic approach to people who are in suicidal distress and those who engage in self-harm.“My husband and I, together with a close friend, also completed the Dublin marathon for Pieta House,” recalled Donna.We now have a Pieta House in the county which has plans to expand and develop its services in the north-west.“I believe very strongly in early intervention and self-care. I hope to be involved in initiatives such as stress control training in the future.” Woman who lost brother to suicide at the forefront of wellness was last modified: August 12th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Darkness into LightdonegalDonna Maskery