New figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) have revealed overseas travellers made just 398,000 trips to the UK in the second quarter of the year.This was down a staggering 96 per cent from the same period last year.- Advertisement – “While the figures relate to the first lockdown period, since then the industry has had to deal with constantly changing travel advice and quarantine measures, as well as local lockdowns, meaning there has been very limited scope for recovery in the travel industry. “As a result tens of thousands of jobs have already been lost and many businesses have closed their doors for good. “In addition to tailored financial support for travel companies, the government needs to implement an effective testing regime and introduce a fully regionalised travel corridor approach by the time lockdown is lifted to help people feel more confident to travel. “It also needs to introduce flexibility into the furlough scheme to support businesses who need to have staff processing refunds, but won’t be generating income.” OlderFuture of Norwegian uncertain as government denies further aid UK residents made 939,000 visits abroad in over the three-month period, which was 96 per cent fewer than the corresponding period the previous year.They spent £402 million on visits abroad. The ONS said data collection by the International Passenger Survey was suspended for the period covered, so the figures are based on administrative sources and modelling. Commenting on the data, and ABTA spokesperson said: “Today’s ONS figures for overseas travel in April to June 2020 lay bare the devasting impact Covid-19 has had on the industry. – Advertisement – The ONS placed the blame for the decline squarely on the Covid-19 pandemic. In total, overseas residents spent £218 million on their visits to the UK in in the second quarter of the year.The figure was again down 97 per cent on the same period of 2019.- Advertisement – – Advertisement –
Facebook Twitter Google+ Comments Published on September 19, 2011 at 12:00 pm Contact Chris: firstname.lastname@example.org | @chris_iseman Two wins this season have already matched Syracuse’s win total from a year ago, and all signs are pointing to an improved team. And if there’s anything pushing the Orange to surpass the limited success it had in 2010, it’s the realization for several players that this is their final chance to be part of a memorable season.Especially since the last couple of years have been anything but.‘I think the last couple years with Syracuse not being great, there’s a lot of guys who want to finish on a high,’ junior midfielder Ted Cribley said. ‘There’s a lot of juniors and seniors who feel that this is their last chance to do well.’ Still early in the season, there have been several highs mixed in with a few lows that unveiled the growing pains Syracuse (2-4, 0-0 Big East) is undergoing in its second year under head coach Ian McIntyre. While there are some upperclassmen looking to make their mark in their last chance at contending for a conference championship, the Orange’s identity is still a developing group of newcomers trying to exceed expectations. Whether they can do so over the long haul or not remains to be seen.With the start of the Big East schedule opening up at the end of the week, there is at least some hope that the Orange could be turning the page after two underwhelming years. In 2009 and 2010, SU went a total of just 5-25-5 overall.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textNow in McIntyre’s second year at the helm, with his system already set in place, there has been a shift from a rocky upheaval to a cohesive group.‘I think we’re a little closer than we were last year,’ junior midfielder Mark Brode said. ‘There’s more of like a bond between everyone on the team. And I think there’s more quality on our team, so it’s been more fun to play.’Despite some of the flaws that have emerged for the Orange in several games, including mental errors or its occasional stagnant offense, the players have kept a positive outlook. It’s been a show of more hope than anxiety, where the concern that SU will return to the doormat of the conference hasn’t revealed itself.Some of that confidence could involve an emergence of unlikely players that have been major contributors thus far. Freshman defender Skylar Thomas is tied with senior midfielder Nick Roydhouse for a team-leading two goals.Behind them are Louis Clark, Federico Agreda and Jordan Murrell, who each have one score apiece.None of those three players had scored in a Syracuse uniform before this season, but now they’ve all become offensive threats.‘I think we have some more attacking options this year,’ McIntyre said. ‘I think as this team evolves we can have some exciting players.’McIntyre has spoken several times about instilling a winning attitude in his players. Even after his team’s first win of the season against Canisius, McIntyre was already focused on making sure his players were used to that feeling of walking off the field victorious.‘There’s a way of learning to win games,’ McIntyre said. ‘And winning becomes a little bit of a habit, and hopefully we can start doing that.’Syracuse hasn’t reached that point yet, but it’s still not out of the realm of possibility. And even in the Orange’s losses, it didn’t go down without giving its opponents fits.That held true this past weekend when the Orange held No. 16 New Mexico scoreless until the 81st minute. Syracuse fought back and scored just more than one minute later to tie it up, but eventually lost five-plus minutes into overtime. The Orange couldn’t beat the Lobos, but it put up enough of a fight to show that further success is possible.There’s still a long way until determining whether or not Syracuse is a legitimate Big East contender.For now, though, the players can feel the program is taking a step in the right direction.‘We’ve still got a lot to work on, you can’t change a program around in two years from being very mediocre to a brilliant program,’ Cribley said. ‘But Mac’s taking the right direction. The right players are here. And you’ve got to go one step at a time, so hopefully this is one of those stepping stones.’email@example.com
Wellington Police notes for Monday, July 21, 2014â€¢8:21 a.m. Officers investigated an identity theft in the 500 block S. F, Wellington.â€¢8:52 a.m. Jessie M. Giefer, 21, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for speeding 51 mph in a 40 mph zone.â€¢9 a.m. Officers took a report of suicidal threats in the 1100 N. A, Wellington by known subject.â€¢10 a.m. Non-Injury accident in the 100 block S. Jefferson, Wellington involving vehicles operated by Janet S. Durant, 56, Mayfield and Clarissa R. H. Baumgarner, 25, Wellington.â€¢10:29 a.m. Janet S. Durant, 56, Mayfield, was issued a notice to appear for driversâ€™ license violation/expired driversâ€™ license.â€¢12 p.m. Non-Injury accident in the 700 block E. 16th, Wellington involving vehicles operated by Ronald D. Rowe, 60, Caldwell, and Dorothy L. Podschun, 83, Wellington.â€¢1:15 p.m. Officers took a report of a mental subject in the 800 block N. Woodlawn, Wellington.â€¢2:44 p.m. Jason D. Finney, 33, South Haven, was issued a notice to appear charged with speeding 59 mph in a 45 mph zone.