Artus Frank, president Liberia Movie Union (LIMU)Following a month of winning two prestigious international awards, Liberian movie icon Artus Frank is set to present his awards to the Liberian government and people.Artus Frank is expected in Liberia on August 19, and an informal presentation of the awards will be made at a dinner with Vice President Joseph Boakai. Among topics to be covered at the presentation, will be a discussion about government’s support to the burgeoning movies industry.During his four-day visit to Liberia, the Ghana-based Liberian actor is expected to affix his signature on UN Women HeforShe Campaign in order to give it boost. The awards will be presented to the government on August 20, at the Ministry of Information Culture Affairs and Tourism (MICAT), and will climax with a visit to an orphanage.Artus Frank received the Face of Africa and Humanitarian Figure Awards respectively from the Continental Award Committee in the US. The face of Africa Award represents the most popular and most dominated actor on the continent for 2014 – 2015.Artus received the Humanitarian award for his contribution in the fight against Ebola and other services in the area of Gender-based Violence, Child protection, among others. “We just want to let government and the people of Liberia to know that an actor who began his career in a growing industry has brought proud back to his native land,” said Henry D. Johnson, Vice President for Administration, Liberia Movies Union.He said that Artus’s “signature on the HeforShe Campaign will not only give it momentum that we should follow suit, but that it will create an opportunity where gender equality could be respected in Liberia.”Expressing excitement, he said the movies industry is proud of Artus Frank for the level of international recognition that he has continued to bestow on us.“Winning these awards creates an opportunity for investors to see that Liberia is a nation of raw talent that needs to be supported.” He said.“We hope that after talks with VP Boakai, he will lobby on behalf of the industry to get much needed support from the government and work together to deal with key challenges that are slowing down the progress of the industry,” Mr. Johnson underscored. What to Expect from the Dinner talk and Artus Frank’s StayTwo issues that are likely to emerge during the dinner talk is getting government full backing in the fight against piracy, which has become a serious problem in the movies industry, as well areas in which government can give financial support to the Movies Union.The pending visit of Artus is also an opportunity for him to reiterate his commitment to the industry’s growth, sending a strong message that filmmakers must do all they can to improve in the art of movie making.Additionally, he might talk about the lack of disunity that has engulfed the industry since Martha E. Akorsah took over as the new president this year, plunging this small but rising industry into disagreements and incoherence. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Acting on intelligence, members of the Guyana Police Force’s F Division (Interior Locations) have unearthed at least three weapons and a quantity of ammunition when they swooped down on a location in Wild Lang Mission, Potaro River, Essequibo over the weekend.Based on information received, the ranks found a single-barrel 12-gauge shotgun and a .38 revolver along with 22 live 12-gauge cartridges, 14 empty 12-gauge casings and a shotgun stock.At the time of the raid, no one was at the location, but the items were seized and taken as evidence. Up to late Sunday evening, no arrests were made.The Police have seized a total of 47 illegal weapons during the January-April period this year. These include 30 pistols, nine revolvers, nine shotguns, one sub-machine gun and one rifle.Only last month, Police ranks of the C Division (East Coast Demerara) arrested three men, including a teenager, with one Taurus .40 pistol with six live rounds and two .32 Special revolvers with four live rounds.
“I think it’s a collective sadness. We’re talking about a team with a great tradition who give their best in events like this.“But those who are in Russia deserved to qualify and in any case Italy stayed out with an Italian President: do we need anything else to say we’re honest and clean?”Infantino, the Swiss-born son of Italian immigrant parents, took over the scandal-battered world body from disgraced president Sepp Blatter in February 2016.“I would have liked to have given the cup to Buffon though,” admitted the 47-year-old.Infantino said that there had been signs of trouble within the four-time world champions long before their dramatic failure in last November’s play-offs.“There have been signals to this effect for a long time, and (Matteo) Darmian’s shot against Sweden could have gone in instead of hitting the post, but he would have only concealed the problems.“Italy were the first in the world for organisation, clubs, training, structures, food, tactics. We forgot that, without work, talent is not enough.“How many young people advance to the first team?”.Italy are without a national coach and a football federation president with the FIGC currently under the guardianship of the national Olympic committee CONI.Infantino said he hoped this would be “as short as possible”.“One or two men cannot change a situation that needs a strong president, backed by all parties, and with a long-term strategy: clubs, leagues, players, everyone has to go in the same direction, as in Germany in the 90s, after the crisis of results, as in England after the Heysel (Stadium disaster), everyone at the table thinking about the common good, today Germany wins the World Cup and Confederations with young players, and England are world champions in Under 17 and Under 20.”Infantino added that he hoped to encourage 40-year-old Juventus and Italy goalkeeping legend Buffon to take a role in football’s governing body when he retires.“Could he take a role in FIFA? I’m going to go in person and get him.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000FIFA president Gianni Infantino wishes Italy had qualified for the 2018 World Cup © AFP/File / Mladen ANTONOVMILAN, Italy, Feb 15 – FIFA president Gianni Infantino revealed Thursday his dispair at Italy’s failure to reach the World Cup finals where he had hoped to hand the trophy to Azzurri captain Gianluigi Buffon.“I’m sad, yes I’m sad for the World Cup. I almost cried,” Infantino, who holds both Swiss and Italian nationality, said in an interview with Italy’s Gazzetta Dello Sport five months ahead of the World Cup final match in Russia.