Chelsea lose again, City score six

first_img three minutes before halftime to equalise LONDON (AP): Defending champions Chelsea fell to their fourth loss of the Premier League season on Saturday, leaving Jose Mourinho talking about the possibility of being fired. In what appeared to be a pre-emptive move after yesterday’s 3-1 home loss to Southampton, Mourinho reminded owner Roman Abramovich that the club has an unwelcome reputation for discarding managers. In the six years before Mourinho returned to the Chelsea dugout in 2013 – after previously coaching the team from 2004 to 2007 – Abramovich went through seven managers. “If the club wants to sack me, they have to sack me because I’m not running away from my responsibility, my team,” Mourinho told Sky Sports television. If losing four games out of eight so far in the league was not bad enough, Chelsea also lost at Mourinho’s former team, FC Porto, in the Champions League on Tuesday. “If the club sacks me, they sack the best manager this club has had,” Mourinho said. “And the message is again that … bad results, the manager is guilty. That is the message the players have had for a decade.” Willian had curled in a free kick after 10 minutes to put the champions in front, but Steven Davis levelled before halftime. Sadio Mane and Graziano Pelle netted in the second half to give Southampton its first win at Chelsea since 2002. Chelsea are only four points above the relegation zone and 10 points behind fledgling leaders Manchester City. Their latest setback overshadowed Sergio Aguero’s five-goal performance as City trashed Newcastle 6-1. City’s dominant performance in the second half against Newcastle provided a reminder of the team’s title credentials after back-to-back Premier League losses and a Champions League setback. Aleksandar Mitrovic headed Newcastle in front in the 18th minute and it took Aguero until three minutes before half-time to equalise. But in a 13-minute spell at the start of the second half, Aguero added another four goals, while Kevin de Bruyne also got in on the scoring act for the leaders. Aguero had only scored three goals in the first two months of the season before yesterday and his tally might have been greater had he not been taken off with around 25 minutes remaining. “In other games, he was maybe having a lot of chances but not scoring,” City manager Manuel Pellegrini told the BBC. “But today, he returned to his normal amount of chances he creates, but this time he scored. “He was not upset about going off. He was having treatment at half-time and it was a risk for him to finish the whole game.” Newcastle are last in the standings, still without a win after eight games. Northeast rivals Sunderland moved ahead on goal difference with a 2-2 draw against West Ham. Sunderland threw away a 2-0 lead to leave Dick Advocaat still searching for his first victory over the campaign. It’s similarly bleak for Aston Villa, who are a point further ahead with just one win to their name so far. Marko Arnautovic gave Stoke a 1-0 victory at Villa Park. There were victories for two of the surprise packages of the early season: Crystal Palace and Leicester. Leicester quickly bounced back from their first loss of the season last weekend by winning 2-1 at Norwich. Yohan Cabaye set up Yannick Bolasie’s header and then scored from the penalty spot as Palace beat West Bromwich Albion 2-0 to move ahead of Leicester into third place on goal difference. A meeting between promoted clubs Bournemouth and Watford ended in a 1-1 stalemate.last_img read more

Tullow to push for Guyanese to be employed with company

first_img…after Ghana Exec touts job opportunities for countrymen in GuyanaTullow recently found oil in Guyana, but it was the Managing Director at Tullow Ghana Ltd, Ghanaian Kweku Awotwi, who was quoted touting the job opportunities that would open up for his fellow Ghanaians in Guyana.Tullow Head of Communications, George CazenoveManaging Director at Tullow Ghana Ltd, Kweku AwotwiThe British oil company is, however, affirming that efforts will be made to hire as much Guyanese as possible for its local operations. In an interview with this publication, Tullow’s Head of Communications, George Cazenove, when asked directly about Awotwi’s claims that half of those employed on the Stena Forth drillship that was responsible for the find are Ghanian, he could not confirm that number. However, he referenced the company’s actions in other territories where it has operations.“As a company, we employ a lot of local people in our key countries of Kenya and Ghana – it’s a critical part of our company-wide commitment to Shared Prosperity – and I am sure we will make as much effort in Guyana,” Cazenove told this publication.In an interview with news outlet GhanaWeb that was published on August 16, Awotwi was quoted as saying that the discovery in the South American country meant that there are opportunities for people in the Tullow organisation.“We already have some of our own Ghanaian Geoscientists that were in London last week, who will be part of that exercise [in Guyana], doing the engineering,” Awotwi said in a video interview with the news outlet.“So, on the one hand, it’s good for Tullow PLC. But it’s also good for the employees of Tullow and Ghanaians make a big part of Tullow. So it’s more opportunities for Ghanaians. In fact, half of the people on the rig are Ghanaians,” he also said.His announcement came at a time when Guyana’s Government is under criticism for its laidback approach to ensuring that a Local Content Policy, which ranges from oil companies hiring locals for its workforce to utilising and partnering with local suppliers, is formalised.Government’s Local Content Policy has been a work in progress for some time, ever since a draft that was released came in for criticism for lacking specificity and concrete measures. Then, Finance Minister Winston Jordan recently came in for criticism when he made comments downplaying the significance of the policy at a press conference held by the People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR).Jordan had pointed out that activities in the oil and gas sector are moving full steam ahead without that critical piece of legislation. Nevertheless, the Finance Minister explained that Director of the Department of Energy, Dr Mark Bynoe has indicated that the local content legislation is all about finished and will be available for public consumption fairly shortly.Local Private Sector bodies and other stakeholder agencies had expressed dissatisfaction with the slothfulness in which the local content laws are being developed. Calls are constantly being made for the policy to be finalised before first oil in the first quarter of 2020, when United States oil giant, ExxonMobil is slated to commence production in the Stabroek Block offshore GuyanaIndeed, a second draft policy has been released. Last week, the Georgetown Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI) facilitated a discussion on this policy. There, past GCCI President Deodat Indar lamented the fact that foreign companies, particularly those from the Caribbean region, are coming to Guyana and “mopping up” all of the opportunities coming out from the budding oil and gas industry.last_img read more