Related New flights to Goa launched by Qatar Airwa

first_img RelatedNew flights to Goa launched by Qatar AirwaysQatar Airways has launched new non-stop flights to Goa from Doha ahead of this year’s winter holiday seasonFlights to Melbourne launched by Qatar AirwaysFlights to Melbourne launched by Qatar AirwaysFlights to Copenhagen launched by Qatar AirwaysFlights to Copenhagen launched by Qatar Airways Qatar Airways has launched new flights to Amritsar from Doha ahead of this year’s Diwali celebrations.The airline began operating four flights a week to the Punjabi city yesterday (October 12th), with the route offering onward connections from Doha to the US and across Europe, Africa and the Middle East.It is the first time that a full-service scheduled global airline has introduced flights to Punjab state, with flights landing at Amritsar’s Raja Sansi International Airport.Akbar Al Baker, Qatar Airways’ chief executive officer, said the launch of the route marked the start of the carrier’s expansion plans.”Qatar Airways and, indeed the State of Qatar, have close ties with India which are today strengthening with the launch of flights to Amritsar,” he commented.”I am extremely indebted to the authorities in Amritsar for welcoming Qatar Airways with open arms to this wonderful, historic city.”The launch of flights to Amritsar represents Qatar Airways’ ninth destination in India.It was announced earlier this month that the airline had secured the Airline of the Year prize at the Travel Trade Gala Dinner.ReturnOne wayMulti-cityFromAdd nearby airports ToAdd nearby airportsDepart14/08/2019Return21/08/2019Cabin Class & Travellers1 adult, EconomyDirect flights onlySearch flights Maplast_img read more

Actor Ving Rhames says police held him at gunpoint in his own

first_imgShare on Facebook news Share via Email This article is more than 11 months old This article is more than 11 months old Jamiles Lartey US news US news Last modified on Sat 28 Jul 2018 12.38 EDT Share via Email @JamilesLartey Ving Rhames said: ‘My problem is, and I said this to them, what if it was my son and he had a video game remote or something and you thought it was a gun?’Photograph: Christopher Polk/WireImage California Share on Facebook … we have a small favour to ask. The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.More people are reading and supporting The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we have chosen an approach that allows us to keep our journalism accessible to all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford. But we need your ongoing support to keep working as we do.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism, to maintain our openness and to protect our precious independence. Every reader contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Since you’re here… Topicscenter_img Share on WhatsApp Reuse this content Ving Rhames was held at gunpoint by police officers in his home after a neighbor reported that a “large black man” had broken in, the actor said on Friday.“I open the door and there is a red dot pointed at my face from a 9mm [handgun],” the star of Mission: Impossible, Pulp Fiction and other films said on the Clay Cane show on Sirius XM. “They say, ‘Put up your hands’.”Rhames said the confrontation happened earlier this year and was defused quickly when the police chief recognized him.“He said it was a mistake and apologized,” the actor said, adding that he was still shaken. “My problem is, and I said this to them, what if it was my son and he had a video game remote or something and you thought it was a gun?”Rhames said police told him a neighbor had called 911 and said a large black man was breaking into the house.“Myself, the sergeant and one other officer, we went over to that house, which was across the street from my place, and the person denied it,” Rhames said.He continued: “Here I am in my own home, alone in some basketball shorts. Just because someone called and said a large black man is breaking in, when I opened up the wooden door a 9mm is pointed at me.” Santa Monica police did not immediately respond to a request for information about the incident.Rhames was a responding to a question about his experiences with racism. “I’m sure you hear about all the reports of black men being attacked by police,” Cane said. “You are a big star, but how does racism show itself in your life?” Rhames’ story was reminiscent of recent high-profile incidents in which black Americans have had the police called for innocuous activities like leaving a short-term rental property, working out at a gym, or sitting in a Starbucks.It was also similar to an incident in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 2009, in which Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates was detained outside his own home. The resulting national conversation about race and policing culminated in Barack Obama hosting Gates and the arresting officer at the White House, for what was dubbed the “beer summit”. Sat 28 Jul 2018 12.33 EDT Shares1,0771077 Actor Ving Rhames says police held him at gunpoint in his own home Share on Twitter Share on Twitter Pulp Fiction star tells Sirius XM neighbor called 911 and said large black man was breaking into the house Share on Messenger Share on Pinterest I open the door and there is a red dot pointed at my face from a 9mm Support The Guardian Share on LinkedInlast_img read more

Activist investor blasts Hudsons Bay Co chairmans offer to take retailer private

first_img A Hudson’s Bay Co. store stands in downtown Vancouver, British Columbia.Ben Nelms/Bloomberg Anne Riley Moffat Email 0 Comments Activist investor Land & Buildings Investment Management has often pushed for change at struggling Hudson’s Bay Co. But not just any change will do — especially not the chairman’s “woefully inadequate offer” to take the retailer private.The New York hedge fund, run by Jonathan Litt, came out swinging Tuesday against the $9.45-a-share bid announced last week by Richard Baker and other investors for the remaining stock of Hudson’s Bay. The shares fell 2.2 per cent to $10.03 at 9:40 a.m. in Toronto on Tuesday.“We want to be clear: this offer materially undervalues the exceptional assets the company owns,” Litt wrote in a letter to the special committee at HBC charged with evaluating the offer. Instead, Litt urged the company to hire “a truly independent investment bank” and consider other strategic alternatives for the company “given the iconic nature of HBC’s real estate that would attract a deep potential buyer pool.”A representative for HBC didn’t immediately reply to a request for comment.Related Stories:Hudson’s Bay chairman’s buyout bid pits retail against real estateA sale — to Baker’s coalition or another buyer — could be a next step in chief executive Helena Foulkes’s everything-is-on-the-table approach to turning Hudson’s Bay around. The company has already divested flash-sale website Gilt, slashed costs by cutting jobs, unloaded a minority stake to Rhone Capital and sold its iconic Lord & Taylor building in Manhattan to WeWork for US$850 million. But it’s been to no avail — the stock has lost more than half its value since 2012.Litt also took issue with the buyout group’s planned purchase of 10 per cent of HBC’s common shares from Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board for the same $9.45 price, announced in January. With that stake, Litt said Baker’s group’s total ownership of the company would have been 65 per cent, not the 58 per cent disclosed in filings, and that the deal would “likely be highly scrutinized by the Ontario Securities Commission.”About 30 minutes after Litt’s letter was published, Baker and the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board announced in a statement plans to terminate their previous deal. The majority of the minority shareholders still need to approve the proposed transaction, and by ending the deal with Baker, Ontario Teachers would still be considered a minority holder and would have a vote.With assistance from Sandrine Rastello, Scott Deveau and Jonathan RoederBloomberg.com Recommended For YouAsian shares inch up as cautious investors await U.S. data, earningsWheat slips on supply concerns; corn, soy also easeAustralia’s central bank ready to cut rates again ‘if needed’Tesla cuts price of mass-marked Model 3, lifts prices of premium EVsNikkei falls as China’s slowing growth hurts sentiment; automakers buck weakness Activist investor blasts Hudson’s Bay Co chairman’s offer to take retailer private as ‘woefully inadequate’ Buyout group and Ontario Teachers’ cancel deal to buy shares Facebook Twittercenter_img Reddit More Share this storyActivist investor blasts Hudson’s Bay Co chairman’s offer to take retailer private as ‘woefully inadequate’ Tumblr Pinterest Google+ LinkedIn Bloomberg News Comment June 18, 201910:07 AM EDT Filed under News Retail & Marketing Join the conversation →last_img read more