Bangladeshi reporter fatally shot by ruling party activists 02.17.2003The High Court ordered the government on 9 February to stop harrassing journalists Saleem Samad, Muntasir Mamoon and Shahriar Kabir, who have been under police surveillance. The three had appealed to the court under sections 498 and 561a of the criminal code. The two judges who heard the case ruled they could not be arrested unless there were warrants to do so and said they were free to go anywhere they wanted, inside or outside the country. The passports of Samad and Kabir had been confiscated while they were under arrest————————————-02.05.2003Journalists Shahriar Kabir and Mantasir Mamun, who were also held severalweeks by police for alleged involvement in “anti-state activities,” havetold the local press they have been under police surveillance since theywere released.————————————-02.03.2003Journalist Saleem Samad under police surveillanceReporters Without Borders protested today at the continued police surveillance of freelance journalist Saleem Samad, recently freed after 50 days in prison, and called on interior minister Altaf Hossain Chowdhury to end the harassment of him and his family at once.Samad, who is also the Reporters Without Borders correspondent in Bangladesh, said the surveillance was probably because of articles and interviews he had provided to the local and foreign media since his release.The organisation also called on the authorities to return personal belongings confiscated from him when was arrested on 29 November last year and to drop charges against him and the British Channel 4 TV journalists arrested with him.Since he was freed on 18 January, Samad said his home in Dhaka’s Pallabi neighbourhood has been watched by police, his phone tapped and his family regularly stopped by intelligence officials. During a book fair he attended on 2 February, he noticed plainclothes police trying to eavesdrop on his conversations.He told Reporters Without Borders he feared the government was planning to accuse him of being involved in a conspiracy.Samad has written articles and given interviews to foreign media mentioning how he was tortured in detention and criticising human rights violations in the country. He is also correspondent for the Pakistani paper the Daily Times.He was only freed conditionally and still faces trial for having worked with the Channel 4 reporters. His case file was sent to the Criminal Investigation Department on 3 December and his passport, ID, bank cards and notebooks have not been returned to him.The government has also refused to grant entry visas to Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard and to Vincent Brossel, head of the organisation’s Asia-Pacific desk. BangladeshAsia – Pacific February 26, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Help by sharing this information February 17, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 High Court orders government to stop harassing Saleem Samad and two other journalists News BangladeshAsia – Pacific May 19, 2021 Find out more to go further News RSF calls for the release of Bangladeshi journalist Rozina Islam, unfairly accused of espionage Receive email alerts News Organisation Follow the news on Bangladesh February 22, 2021 Find out more News Bangladeshi writer and blogger dies in detention
What’s better than a run through North Carolina’s High Country? A beer run through North Carolina’s High Country. The inaugural Oskar Blues 5K Hash commences next Saturday, July 20, with a scenic route across Beech Mountain and beer stops stocked with Dales Pale Ale, Mama’s Little Yella Pilsner, and Old Chub Scottish Ale. That’s a hell of a lot better than the malt liquor that was circulating at the last last hash I ran. The run is part of Beech’s incredibly cool Bikes, Brews ‘n’ Views weekend (July 19-21) with live music (Acoustic Syndicate headlines), Monster Energy Dual Slalom and Downhill races, and a beer festival featuring some of North Carolina’s finest hop hucksters. Demo from the mountain’s fleet of state of the art downhill bikes and check out the newly-dug downhill park that’s poised to put Beech on the gravity map. The weekend also marks the grand opening of the mountain’s new disc golf course, a sport that truly pairs well with beer.As for brewery standouts, keep an eye out for regional favorites Green Man (Asheville) and Natty Greene’s (Greensboro) as well as up and comers Blind Squirrel (Plumtree) and Gizmo Brewworks (Raleigh). And here’s the best part—the $40 entry fee to the Oskar Blues Hash gets you a ticket to see Acoustic Syndicate and entry into the Beer Fest.Best. Weekend. Ever.Check out more beer fueled runs here.
Senior Director of Corporate Communications Michael Jamison told 12 News repairs and upgrades were made as needed, as critical infrastructure is a priority on days where losing power is of high potential. (WBNG) — Amid the coronavirus pandemic, NYSEG has taken a number of precautions to ensure customer and employee safety, especially on days where severe weather is causing customers to lose power. “Our crews have been spending a lot of time proactively checking the circuits that provide power to critical infrastructure, so we’re confident we’re prepared for the greatest extent we can be,” said Jamison. NYSEG took a proactive approach weeks ago, inspecting circuits of high priority locations such as hospitals, nursing homes and grocery stores. NYSEG is following CDC guidelines and practicing social distancing. All indoor non-emergency work has been suspended, and employees are encouraging customers to follow these guidelines as well. NYSEG is encouraging people to avoid approaching active work sites, but if necessary, they ask that you maintain the six-feet social distance policy. “If the worst does come we’re prepared, we have nearly 1000 people, field resources state wide ready to respond, and we’ve prestaged crews all throughout the state based on the forecast so we can react quickly is outages do occur,” said Jamison. Jamison says when there is severe weather in the forecast, they plan for the worst and hope for the best, and are prepared for whatever comes their way. Jamison also said you may notice increased traffic. That is due to social distancing policies, which NYSEG has implemented. The company’s new policy is one worker per vehicle, meaning you may notice a NYSEG truck followed by a fleet of other vehicles. “Like” Nicole Menner on Facebook and “Follow” her on Twitter.
In the men’s division, Evans Maripa, currently ranked 31st in the world, defeated world number 32 Lahcen Majdi of France 7-6, 6-2 in his first match. ‘We are so proud of Lucas’Wheelchair Tennis South Africa’s director and coach Holger Losch commented in a statement: “We are so proud of Lucas and his achievements, and look forward to watching this inspirational athlete at the Paralympics.” FinalThat victory booked him a place against the top seed, Sweden’s Anders Hard, in the final. The two had previously met in the final of the Korea Open, with Sithole claiming a 6-4, 6-3 win. After recording an emotional victory in the Korea Open at the beginning of June, South African quads wheelchair tennis star Lucas Sithole continued his good form with a runner-up finish at the Daegu Open this past weekend. This time around, however, Hard exacted a measure of revenge by outlasting the South African star 6-4, 6-7, 6-1. In the semi-finals, he faced Frenchman Stephane Erismann and came close to repeating his whitewash victory of the previous round, running out a 6-1, 6-0 winner. It was the same result he had achieved against Erismann in the Korea Open. Sithole, who is preparing for the Paralympics for the first time, cruised through his quarter-finals clash against Korean Young-Mok Yu, winning 6-0, 6-0. It was, nonetheless, another successful tournament for Sithole, who has risen to seventh in the world rankings. He next faced world number 11 Takashi Sanada, whose experience proved the difference, as the Japanese player recorded a 6-2, 6-2 win. SAinfo reporter World number 40 Sydwell Mathonsi scored a 6-4, 6-4 win over Israel’s Gamini Dissanayake in his opening match. 15 June 2012 He was beaten 7-6, 6-4 by David Dalmasso of France, ranked 14 places above him, in his second match. Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
Lussier said that the Co-op received and matched several thousand dollars during last year’s fundraiser, and he hopes that residents will step up once again, especially after the provincial government announced that it would match all Red Cross donations up to $20 million until October 12th. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John Co-op is currently accepting donations to the Red Cross in support of B.C. wildfire evacuees, and will be matching all donations it receives.Co-op General Manager Brad Lussier said that residents wishing to make a donation to the Red Cross can do so at both Co-op locations in Fort St. John during regular business hours.Last year, the local Co-op held an identical fundraiser during the worst-ever wildfire season in the province, when over 1.2 million hectares of forests were consumed, forcing a cumulative total of 65,000 B.C. residents from their homes.
Mumbai: The Shiv Sena on Friday declared its first list of 21 candidates in Maharashtra for next month’s Lok Sabha polls, retaining 17 sitting MPs and denying ticket to the lawmaker who had allegedly slapped an Air India employee in 2017.Ravindra Gaikwad, the 59-year-old MP from Osmanabad constituency, had hit an Air India staffer with a slipper at the IGI Airport in New Delhi and then openly boasted about it. The Sena replaced Gaikwad, who briefly faced a travel ban by airlines for his act, with Omraje Nimbalkar in Osmanabad in central Maharashtra. Another Sena Member of Parliament, Rajan Vichare, who was accused of force-feeding a canteen employee on fast during Ramzan in 2014, has been fielded again from Thane. As per the pre-poll alliance sealed by the BJP and the Shiv Sena, the former will contest on 25 seats and the latter on 23 out of the Lok Sabha 48 constituencies in Maharashtra. Of these 23 seats, the Uddhav Thackeray-led party announced candidates on 21, leaving out two constituencies — Palghar and Satara — in the first list. Currently, the Palghar seat adjoining Mumbai has a BJP MP, but the Sena has staked its claim to the constituency. “We will announce the names of remaining candidates by Sunday,” senior Sena leader and Maharashtra minister Subhash Desai told reporters here after releasing the list. The constituency-wise list of Sena candidates: South Mumbai-Arvind Sawant; South Central Mumbai-Rahul Shewale; Mumbai North West-Gajanan Kirtikar; Kalyan-Shrikant Shinde; Raigad-Anant Gite; Ratnagiri-Sindhudurg seat-Vinayak Raut; Kolhapur-Sanjay Mandlik; Hatkanangle-Dhairyasheel Mane; Nashik-Hemant Godse; Shirdi-Sadashiv Lokhande; Shirur-Shivajirao Adhalrao Patil; Aurangabad-Chandrakant Khaire; Yavatmal Washim-Bhawana Gawli; Buldana-Prataprao Jadhav; Ramtek-Kripal Tumane; Amravati-Anandrao Adsul; Parbhani-Sanjay Jadhav; Maval-Shrirang Barne; Hingoli-Hemant Patil, Osmanabad-Omraje Nimbalkar and Thane-Rajan Vichare.
The world has witnessed the success story of Vijender Singh in the boxing. He defeated many opponents in the ring as his dedication and hard work earned him respect in the form of Arjuna Award, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award and Padma Shri in 2010. But this time, the Olympic medallist will be trying his luck in politics as the Congress has fielded him from the South Delhi constituency. In an exclusive interview with Abhay Singh of Millennium Post, the champion boxer says that he is confident of winnning the seat and also bats for making South Delhi a beautiful place for living. Singh promised all around development in the city and says he would also build sporting culture in Delhi. Also Read – Arms supplier arested from RajasthanIn the interview, Singh discussed poll promises for the 2019 parliamentary elections and reasons behind choosing politics. “People are very happy with me. Both the parties will lose this election as they did not fulfil their poll promises,” said Singh. You have been one of the best players in India. How do you feel after joining politics? I am feeling good, we need change, want answers for our questions. I am feeling very excited. I want that every youth of our country should join politics and also raise questions. Politics is a very responsible job. Voters give us the responsibility and we should work for the development of citizens and nation. Also Read – Water supply disruption likely in some areasWhat made you join politics? I used to think about politics after I saw that political dignity is falling below standards. Politicians criticise each other, they never talk about the problems faced by common people. Indian Army should not be criticised. The main agenda should be fulfilling the promises made before the citizens, providing employment, better environment, food to people. Why the people of Delhi should vote for you? I am confident of winning the seat. Yes, they will vote for me as both the governments (whether it is BJP MP or the AAP in the state) they have completely failed to fulfil their promises which were made before people. Both these parties have betrayed the trust of the Delhi people. The current MP also misbehaved with the Poorvanchali people living in Delhi. The voters do not want them, they will lose. Several people are taking selfies with me and I am asking them to vote. What are your poll promises for this election? First of all, the promises made in the Congress manifesto will be fulfilled. The woman safety in the city is a major priority for us. I also want to build sports facilities in Delhi. I will never make fake promises to people. There will be development in the health sector. I will also “regularise” the status of all unauthorised colonies in the Capital. What are the problems you noticed in South Delhi? South Delhi is a very big constituency. There are many problems in the city. In Sangam Vihar, the condition of Poorvanchali people is very bad. Poor facility of water, no sewerage and sealing has affected people’s lives. I will bring some changes in these. My fight is not with the candidates but with the problems of citizens. I will improve the lifestyle of the people in the city. What is your campaign strategy and how will you connect with the people? First of all, people in Delhi are happy with me. I do not believe in show off. I am a grounded person and will meet them. After Congress wins, Delhi people should be relaxed and happy as we will be fulfilling every promise made to them. I do not come from a rich family. I grazed buffaloes. It has been a long journey, and throughout my life I have remain grounded.
Photo by Ebony magazine.Dwyane Wade has gone Hollywood.Fox has purchased the rights to a television sitcom based on his life as an NBA star and single father of two boys. “Three The Hard Way” will feature a character named Daryl Wade. The show is described as Wade and “his entourage of eccentric friends, find themselves parenting by committee, when he gets full custody of his two young sons. It’s a recipe made for disaster, but no matter how misinformed, misguided, or unfit Team Wade may be, they have a trump card that can’t lose. It’s called love.”The plot closely follows Wade’s life and is based on the book he released last year called “A Father First.” Wade has had sole custody of his two sons, Zaire and Zion, since 2010.“Who’s going to play me? I haven’t figured that out yet, but I’m sure it’s going to be somebody handsome,” Wade said. “I just want somebody who’s good.“I will be involved, very involved … to the point where it has enough of what I would like to see from my story. Obviously it’s a comedy, but there will be some things you want to let loose.”Wade said the show would be inspired by some themes of “The Cosby Show.”“I think they’ll be able to pull the comedy out of the dark moments,” Wade said. “That was one thing I kept saying before I sold my story. I want to be able to bring some light into the dark times. I always take off from “The Cosby Show” kind of thing. They always told a lesson at the end of the day. There’s always a story, and comedy in it as well.”
37-year-old John Terry has made the decision to keep playing and he’ll do it in an unlikely destination – Spartak Moscow.According to Gianluca Di Marzio via Daily Mirror John Terry is set to join Russian Spartak Moscow.#Calciomercato | #SpartakMosca, visite mediche ok per #Terry: in giornata la firma https://t.co/hCd2JyPf2n— Gianluca Di Marzio (@DiMarzio) September 8, 2018Aston Villa explains why they spent so much money on players Manuel R. Medina – September 6, 2019 According to Aston Villa’s chief executive, the team needed to spend £144.5 million on 12 players in order to stay competitive.The former Chelsea captain has been without a club since leaving Aston Villa and was contemplating retirement. However, based on recent developments, he has made up his mind to continue playing.Spartak Moscow lost their starting center back Samuel Gigot with a serious injury which will likely keep him out of the football terrains for the rest of the season. John Terry will come in and fill the void left by the injured Frenchman.The Russian team is undefeated in six games so far this season and sits in second place with four wins and two draws. Spartak Moscow qualified for the Europa League as well, where they’re in a group with Villarreal, Rapid Vienna and Rangers FC, which means an interesting meeting between Terry and Rangers’ manager Steven Gerrard is lurking on the horizon.
Sinisa Mihajlovic has sued Sporting Lisbon for €11m in damages citing wrongful dismissal and reputational damage.Mihajlovic was signed by President Bruno de Carvalho but he was then deposed by Sporting Lisbon’s Board of Directors.A new President was put in place who then fired Mihajlovic just nine days later. And he never even had the chance to arrive for pre-season training.Sporting Lisbon now confirm that Mihajlovic is suing them for €11.195m. Football Italia reports.“I can confirm that I was sacked without just cause by Sporting CP just a few days before the start of the contract that would’ve tied me to the club for three seasons.” Mihajlovic told La Gazzetta Dello Sport.Tottenham did not have the credentials to buy Fernandes George Patchias – September 5, 2019 Sporting president Varandas says Tottenham did not have the credentials to fulfill the bid for Bruno FernandesIn an interview with Sporting Lisbons president Frederico…“In the middle of June, I went to Lisbon to negotiate with the Sporting directors for my personal terms and those of my staff. On June 18, we signed a three-year contract that was due to start on July 1.“A few days later, President Bruno de Carvalho was removed from his post by the Board of Directors and on June 27 the club annulled my contract, claiming I had not passed the trial period set in the Portuguese rules for contracts.“However, they cannot say that because at that moment the contract hadn’t even started yet and I was still on vacation in Sardinia…“In 30 years of my career, as player and then Coach, I’ve never seen anything like it. I will have my rights respected, that you can count on.”